Appendicitis is a condition due to inflammation of the appendix, a three and a half inches long tube of tissue. It extends from the large intestine and produces antibodies. If it becomes inflamed, then the person has to undergo a surgery to remove the appendix immediately. If it is not treated properly, then it will burst or spill out the infectious materials to the abdominal cavity. This may lead to peritonitis. Peritonitis is a condition in which there is an inflammation of the lining of the abdominal cavity. It may become fatal and should be treated quickly with antibiotics.
Causes of Appendicitis:
Appendicitis occurs when there is a block in the appendix due to stool or a foreign body. The block may be due to infections and it causes swelling in response to any infection in the body.
Symptoms of Appendicitis:
- The classic symptoms of appendicitis are as follows
- A feel of dull pain near the upper abdomen or naval area which becomes sharp and moves to the lower right abdomen. This is the first sign of appendicitis.
- Nausea or vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal swelling
- Fever with 99-102 degree Fahrenheit
- Inability to pass gas
- Severe cramps
- Pain in passing urine
- Constipation with gas
Diagnosis of Appendicitis:
- The following tests are usually made to diagnose appendicitis. They are
- Rectal exam
- Abdominal exam to detect inflammation
- Urine test
- Blood test
- CT scans / ultrasound
Treatment for Appendicitis:
The condition is treated with the surgery named appendectomy. It is a standard treatment for treating appendicitis. Most of the surgeries are aimed at removing the appendix so that there will be no fear of rupture. If there is a chance of rupture, then immediate surgery is essential to treat it.
Some of the home remedies for treating appendicitis are listed below
- Consumption of fruits and vegetables helps to pass out the mucus and other toxins.
- One teaspoon of green gram regularly cleanses the system effectively.
- Garlic prevents the swelling of appendix
- Plenty of water helps to flush out the system by maintaining a healthy appendix
- Intake beet and cucumber juices.