- Vitamin D is labelled as the “sunshine vitamin,” as it is produced in the skin on sun exposure
- Vitamin D is required to maintain serum calcium concentration within the normal physiologic range for musculoskeletal health.
- Vitamin D deficiency in children causes rickets and prevents children from reaching their peak bone mass and genetically determined height
- In adults, vitamin D deficiency results in abnormal mineralization of the collagen matrix in bone referred to as osteomalacia.
- Deficiency of ViataminD is attributed to an increase in the incidence of obesity, a decrease in milk consumption and use of sun protection.
- aching bones is a common complaint in vitamin D deficient individuals.
- Vitamin D deficiency also results in muscle weakness and muscle pain
- obese people require larger units of vitamin D supplementation to maintain an adequate level of vitamin D in the body.
- Very few foods are a natural source of vitamin D. These include oily fish such as salmon, mackerel, and sardines.
- It is recommended that the level of the circulating form of vitamin D (25-hydroxyvitamin D) is checked at least twice a year
10 facts about Vitamin D
Book your appointment online
Our simple to use, online appointment process makes it easy for you to book for any one of our services and doctors.