Marathon training tip:
Marathon is a long distance running usually in kilometers. So the runners should take 4 weeks as their training period for marathon.Runners should stick to their training schedule regularly and maintain their running standard.They should make a healthy diet supplement each day.A week prior to the marathon, they should decrease their running distance gradually and keep them rest.
Advices for curing injuries:
If any injury happens during training, don’t ignore to take care of it. If serious injuries such as fracture and tear of muscle/tendon/ligament occurs, consult a physiotherapists immediately. If any injuries can be managed for 3-4 days, take precaution steps by doing massage.If any injury cannot get settled within 3-5 days, consult a physiotherapists and diagnose it. During training, if no injuries are felt avoid unnecessary massage and new running strategies.Continue the precaution methods to get avoided from injuries.
On racing day, arrange the necessary things required for racing such as shoes ,clothes and first aid kit and make it ready.Before running warm up session should be made to make the muscles stretched for getting ready to race.Warm up should be done for both pre-running and post running.Pre-running warm up helps to stretch large muscles by increasing joint ranges of motion.Jogging for 10 to 15 minutes will help for race.Post-running warm up helps to get relax after running.Cool down for 2 to 3 minutes and do stretches.During racing, if any injury or dehydration happens don’t continue to race.
Types of injuries and precautions:
- Runners Knee – During a long run or descending from hills/stairs, there will be a irritation of cartilage behind the kneecap. To avoid this, strengthen your muscles by swimming and cycling and avoid running downhill.
- Achilles Tendon – When running from hills and increased work speed may cause tight and weak calves.This may make tendon to tighten and inflame.According to the inflammation, treatment varies.
- Hamstring Injuries – After a powerful sprinting, it may imbalance the muscle and weakens hamstring. For strengthening hamstring , runner should be in rest and gentle running is prefered.
- Plantar Fasciitis – For a long period of standing and performing high or low arches, there will be small tear of tendons/ligaments. To get recover from this it will take 3 months to 1 hour.
- Shin Splints – This injury is common for new runners and cause small tears in muscles around tibia. To get rid of this injury ,reduce running speed for one month and slowly build up the mileage.
- Iliotibial Band Syndrome (ITBS) – When runner builds fast mileage and heavy work on track is made IT band irritates femur bone. To avoid this, reduce mileage of running and take rest for 1-2 days.
- Stress Fracture – If runner undergoes heavy training by increasing duration of running too soon may cause cumulative strain on bones.For this fracture, take 8-16 weeks rest and should not attempt to run.
These are the tips given by physiotherapists for injuries during marathon training.This helps runners to get a view about injuries and it helps to enhance their training without any flaws.