A sinus headache is a common disease that affects most of the people all over the world. Sinuses are air-filled cavities (spaces) inside forehead, cheekbones, and behind the bridge of the nose. Due to certain allergies or infection, the sinuses becomes inflamed and prevents the outflow of mucus. So, there may be a slight pressure on the areas of cheek, forehead, and eyes and causes pain between the eyes and the portion just above the nose. This sinus headache causes severe pain like a tension headache or a migraine that may range from normal to severe pain. It is advised to know about the type of a headache and treat according to it.
Causes of a sinus headache:
The main cause of a sinus headache is the infection in the sinus cavities by bacteria or viruses. The other causes are listed below
- Fungal infections can cause a sinus headache.
- Infections like cold or allergic reactions affect the nasal cavity and cause swelling in the nose and also inflammation of the sinuses.
- The draining ability of the sinus gets reduced due to allergies and causes pain in the forehead and under the eyes.
- Stagnation of fluid increases the growth of viruses and bacteria.
- Dental infections can move to the sinus and cause pain.
Symptoms of a sinus headache:
The symptoms of a sinus headache are listed below
- Constant pain or pressure in the forehead, cheekbones, and bridge of the nose
- Runny nose
- Feeling of fullness in ears
- Swelling in the face
Treatment for a sinus headache:
A sinus headache is diagnosed based on the history and physical examination. There is no need for blood test and X-rays. The inflammation within the sinus passage can be reduced by decreasing the pressure and the fluid can be drained with the help of proper treatment. Antibiotics are not necessary. It is recommended to take the decongestant and pain-relieving medicines for a headache.
Natural Pain Relief Supplements:
The inflammation and pain can be reduced by taking some natural supplements that are listed below
- Bromelain derived from pineapple reduces the inflammation and other symptoms of a sinus headache.
- Quercetin is a flavonoid present in fruits and vegetables which reduce the release of histamine. As histamine causes inflammation and pressure in the sinuses.
- Drink warm water to reduce the inflammation and congestion in the nose.
- Intake of fruits rich in Vitamin C like Oranges, Pomegranate, Gooseberry boosts the immune system of the body.